Saturday, April 15, 2017

Do I work or do I not work, that is the question



The other day I met an acquaintance that I had not met in a long time. Pleasantries exchanged, she asked me where I was working these days. On being told that I am mostly a stay at home mom who sometimes writes, sometimes draws and sometimes bakes, she raised her pert nose in disdain (that’s how I interpret it, the poor woman may have a runny nose and was probably avoiding an embarrassing drip), and said, “Oh, so you don’t work, hmmm.”
The ‘hmmm’ did it. The red flag was raised, my nostrils flared and the prehistoric barbaric warrior self that I hide in some corner of my brain, took over my imagination. With a stupid smile on my face, I saw my reaction in a movie playing behind my glazed vacant eyes. I saw a leopard skin clad warrior woman give a war cry and swing a hard punch at the lady’s face. The pert nose was punched in and an eye ball had to pop out to make place for this drippy pert nose. A chirping ring of cute birds flew around her head (the pert nosed lady’s head, not our warrior woman’s proud head), and the barbaric woman punched the air and gave another yell of glee, words yet not being a part of her vocabulary. Don’t forget, this is prehistory. She may have gone to her cave and drawn some stick figures to indicate her vindication of the pert nosed lady, but that would be later, for now, she was expressing her joy with ear splitting yells and some sort of ungainly weird dance around the lady.
The movie was brought to an abrupt end, the brakes were applied and my imagination was reigned in. My brain has a very well designed braking system which is constantly upgraded. You see, my run away sarcastic tongue and my strange imagination do need to be curbed often, to avoid the looney bin, or worse, the judicial system. The brakes stop the errant part of my inner self from projecting for too long, and bring in the sane part of my brain to the fore. The sane part of my brain now having taken over, the stupid smile was wiped out, the glazed vacant look was replaced with an intent one, and I turned to the offensive pert nosed lady.
The civilised, good mannered, well brought up daughter, that is the pride of her parents took over, and I gave a sweet smile to my tormentor. Before the vigilant brakes were applied, my impish self whispered a few choice words of advice to this model of decorum that I now was and with a Monalisaesque enigmatic smile I said, “Well, dear, I must say your definition of ‘work’ needs to be redefined, don’t you think?”. I turned and walked away before my barbaric self broke the brakes and emerged out of my imagination, swinging her stone club and passionately yelling something in her language which would today translate to Dont work, eh, is that what you think I do, you snooty woman? Is that what I do all hours of the day and also some hours of the night? and a few expletives that I dare not put here.
I am sure many of you have been in this situation where someone judges you for being a stay at home mom. This isn’t a debate about working mom vs stay at home mom. Hell, I’ve tried at being a working mom. Tried real hard too. My high expectations of what I wanted to do in my career and my even higher expectations of what I wanted to do as a mother unfortunately didn’t match, mostly because I am from Earth and not Krypton, so I made this difficult decision of leaving my profession and being a full time mom, and trying to find things to do from home; where I could juggle my roles of a mom, with that of a baker, or a writer or a doodler or any other role my creative fancy adopted. It is important to find different labels for yourself, other than that of mom or wife. I was privileged that this decision was available to me, as my poor husband agreed to take on the added financial responsibility that I was casting aside to stay home with my girls.
I call this decision difficult because a small part of me was the snooty pert nosed woman who did not know the true worth of a stay at home mom. I had also once upon a time thought that staying at home would qualify as ‘not working’. I had totally forgotten the hard work my mom did to run the well oiled establishment that we called home. Oh god, how did she do it???
This transition was also difficult for me because all my life, even in the summer breaks during college, I had ‘worked’ and earned and been financially independent. I had even waddled my pregnant self to work till just a week before I delivered my elder daughter. So not working at a paid job had not been in my system. And since the job of a mom or a home maker has no salary attached to it, it was a blow to my self esteem that I was no longer a contributor to the bread and butter on the table. Thankfully the poor stooping husband of mine, bent double carrying the financial burden, huffed and puffed and reassured me that he was okay being the beast of burden as long as I took charge of our daughters and home. For now, the loving hugs and appreciative smacks at the dining table are payment enough. But I also know that I’ll have to look for alternative employment once the girls leave the roost.
So yeah, coming back to where we started, yes, I do indeed ‘work’, as do all you stay at home moms. Next time someone looks down at you disdainfully for not ‘working’, feel free to borrow my fantasy of the barbaric woman and slug them in the face in your fantasy. And more importantly, have confidence that you are doing a great job and there are people who appreciate the ‘work’ that you do. Also remember that what is most important is that your self worth is so damn strong that no raised pert nose is able to shake it. That would be possible if you keep doing something for yourself, other than the duties of a mom, a wife or a daughter in law. Keep a special ‘me’ time to work on a hobby or to do something that makes you happy. You deserve that free time for all the ‘work’ that you do on the job.
This was my experience, I am sure there are many moms who have had similar and also many moms who have had different experiences with this decision of quitting work to be at home for your child. I would love to know your thoughts on this and if you like what I’ve written, do follow my blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment